Five Cleaning Dos and Don’ts
Cleaning is an easy thing, right? Everyone knows how to do it, or at least knows who to ask. But are you really doing it the best way possible? Here are some common cleaning mistakes to avoid, and some ways to clean up your act:
1. Dusting with Furniture Polish: Furniture polishes can give your wood a lovely glow, but they should be used only sparingly. Too many coats of polish will become dust magnets, and turn that glow into a dusty matte finish very quickly. If you think it’s too late, consider wiping down your furniture with an orange-oil cleanser. It will remove the layers of dusty oil, and replace enough of the oil to keep it from drying. Then keep your polishing to a few times a year, and use a dry, microfiber duster for the remainder of dusts.
2. Washing Windows on a Sunny Day: Window wash does a great job of breaking down grime when it has sufficient time to work. Hot, sunny days will accelerate the drying process, leaving streaks of grime. Choose cooler, cloudy days to to tackle the windows. Even if the angle of light doesn’t show off all the dirt, your ability to pull them off your windows will be upped significantly.
3. Wiping too Quickly: Having a job, kids, and a house to clean can be a lot of work. But skimping on disinfectant won’t have the effect you’re hoping for. Read bottles, and follow directions. The ability for a disinfecting spray to clean germs requires a certain amount of time to sit and work. Spraying and instantly wiping does little more than if you used water. Read your label, give it a good spray, and take a deep breath and relax for awhile first.
4. Scrubbing the Carpet: Carpet cleaners are getting better and better, but there is still an important detail to follow on their label. Blot, don’t scrub. Scrubbing too vigorously can untwist and damage carpet fibers, causing a deterioration of the quality of the carpet itself. If you can’t get it out with a good blot, then call a professional cleaner instead.
5. Dab, Don’t Spray: According to a study done in 2007, published in the American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, people who clean with household sprays are 49% more likely to display asthma symptoms. Making these cleaners airborne will affect the lining of your lungs, and cause irritation. In the study, those who put cleaners directly onto a rag instead of spraying them into the air showed no increase of asthma symptoms at all.
We understand that even the smallest jobs can pile up when you’re busy – That’s why we are known for our house cleaning services Hockessin, DE residents trusts to keep their homes spotless. Maid cleaning services Hockessin DE can enjoy once a week, once a month or whenever best suits your schedule is our business – keeping you comfortable is our priority. Give us a call today and let us handle the dos and don’ts of keeping your home, office or apartment tidy.